Harrie M. Wright did double duty as a jeweler and an optician - not an unusual combination at the turn of the
20th century. Wright did business in Patterson, Pawling, Brewster, and at Cornish's Drug Store in Carmel one day per week. Wright
also administered eye exams to employees of the New York Central Railroad, a job he held until his death. Wright was also a photographer
and published many postcards of Patterson and Pawling in the early 20th century.
Wright was born in Patterson on April 4, 1884. He attended the Patterson District School, and later studied optometry. He was a
member of the Croton Lodge in Brewster, and a fifty year member of the Patterson Grange. He was also a member of the Holy Trinity
Church. Wright died at his home on Coulter Avenue in Pawling on September 24, 1961, at the age of 77.
The photo shows Wright's shop on Railroad (Front) Street in the early 20th century. (The Patterson Historical Society)
"Harrie Wright Jewelry" can barely be read in the window on the storefront on the left, in the building owned by John Cruthers.
The building was demolished in the 1990s, and was located just to the right of the former Patterson Market building at the corner of
Center Street. Wright closed his Patterson shop in 1930, although some accounts claim he moved his business to Pawling in 1918.
Wright continued to operate his shop in Pawling at least until 1960.
In August, 1902, Wright issued this receipt to the Patterson Grange for the
purchase of a silver cup. The receipt bears the signature of Wright. The first ad appeared in the Patterson Weekly News on
October 1, 1908. the second ad appeared in the Putnam County Courier on January 15, 1915. The third appeared in the Courier
on April 30, 1915. The next image is that of a promotional postcard from 1910.